Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Fresh Start!

I am starting this blog about art and life. Life in Knoxville TN, as an artist.

Let's talk about aesthetic. What is aesthetic? The following definition is according to dictionary.com

aes·thet·ic   
[es-thet-ik or, especially Brit., ees-] Show IPA
–adjective
1. pertaining to a sense of the beautiful or to the science of aesthetics.
2. having a sense of the beautiful; characterized by a love of beauty.
3. pertaining to, involving, or concerned with pure emotion and sensation as opposed to pure intellectuality.–noun
4. a philosophical theory or idea of what is aesthetically valid at a given time and place: the clean lines, bare surfaces, and sense of space that bespeak the machine-age aesthetic.
5. aesthetics.
6. Archaic . the study of the nature of

I like number 4 . a philosophical theory or idea of what is aesthetically valid at a given time and place: the clean lines, bare surfaces, and sense of space that bespeak the machine-age aesthetic.

What do you consider to be aesthetically valid in our time and place?

The lines and geometric shapes of the Mid-Century Modern period and the patterns that came out of that, defined the era.
What defines us, as a society, and as a city and as a community?

Where is our community and how are we involved in creating what is around us?

I think I will set out to find my community!

What is the aesthetic of Knoxville? Does one exist?

I will start where I live.

Ground Zero is the Bearden area in Knoxville.

I will start taking pictures of people and places and start defining my community.

Let's see where it leads!

1 comment: